Community sensitization and empowerment
- Engaging our leadership at all levels and categories to rally behind mental Health causes and the fight against stigma. SPU-F through various fora has engaged persons in leadership positions to come out and show support for the End Stigma Campaign with positive results. Though a lot more work needs to be done!
- Engaging the Community in activities that create awareness on Mental health issues, the fight against stigma, and creating an enabling environment for persons with mental illness through mental Health medical and educational outreaches to low income communities.
- Partnering with different organizations to create awareness of the far reaching effects of mental illness. Its impact on Adolescent reproductive Health, HIV Aids prevalence, Poverty , Gender based Violence among others
- Dissemination of existing literature on mental Health , Mental disorders, available health care services and rights and responsibilities towards persons with Mental illnesses.
Schools’ information sharing and educational outreaches
- Sensitization workshops for teachers and relevant training in handling special Needs Children
- Awareness talks to the pupils and students on Mental Health including Alcoholism , smoking and Reproductive Health
- Assessments and counseling sessions to the students
- Provision of literature on Mental Health related issues
- Organise outreach programmes to remand homes and crisis centres, to assist teenagers that are labouring with mental and drug related challenges.